Monday, October 4, 2010

Suggested Narrative

"Found objects and suggested narratives are two important innovations in studio jewelry with roots in the 1960's Pop Art movement" This is written by Ulysses Dietz (Senior Decorative Arts Curator, Newark Museum) taken from the show catalog for "Make me Something Beautiful"" at the Newark Museum that included the works of 9 New Jersey Metal Arts Guild members.

My felt and metal piece Ascend Pendant, which is featured in the November Art Jewelry magazine gallery section, has a place in the suggested narrative category. Looking back at this piece I remember the artistic concerns I addressed, like trying to expand the volume of my work and finding innovative ways to combine the fiber with metal. This piece has been in a couple of shows, a catalog and now the magazine. Later this month it will be found with other of my felt and metal pieces at the store at the Society of Contemporary Crafts, in Pittsburgh, PA.

No comments: